1. Take a winter walk through the countryside
Countryside walks don’t need to be reserved for the warmer months – in fact, there are plenty of flat routes to try in the winter, too. From the stunning River Wharfe route from Burnsall, to the unique Gordale Scar in Malham – there are plenty of sights to see without having to go on a difficult hike (especially in wet or frosty conditions!). Here are just some of the routes you can enjoy in the winter:
- River Wharfe from Burnsall
- Gordale Scar from Malham (where you can also visit Janet’s Foss and Malham Cove for a longer route)
- Aysgarth Falls
- Cotter Falls
- River Wharfe from Grassington
2. Explore the gorgeous towns and villages
One of the real highlights of the Dales is the idyllic towns and villages that populate it. No matter what time of year you visit, they’re always charming – with lovely little traditional shops filled with local produce and gifts, cosy pubs and brilliant independent restaurants to try.
Here are some of the best spots to visit:
- Pateley Bridge
3. Enjoy a ride on the Polar Express in Wensleydale
Get set for an amazing Christmas trip with your kids! Hop on the Polar Express Train Ride in Wensleydale, where you'll have a blast with a cool mix of an old-timey train ride and the magical Polar Express story. And guess what? You'll even get to meet Santa at the end! Oh, and wear your PJs to really get into the spirit of things. Don't wait – grab your tickets now!
Visit them here:
Polar Express Instagram
Polar Express Facebook
4. See a piece of history
If there’s one thing Yorkshire has by the bucket load, it’s history. From the stunning Bolton Abbey, to Castle Bolton, Fountain’s Abbey and Jervaulx Abbey – there are plenty of places to visit. And if you prefer your history a little more on the cheesy side, there’s even the iconic Wensleydale Creamery to explore.
6. Enjoy a meal at one of the Dales’ most acclaimed restaurants
The whole national park is dotted with cosy pubs that serve up delicious homemade food, perfect for the winter. Here are some of the highest-rated restaurants in the Dales:
- The Wellington Heifer, Ainderby Steeple
- The Angel Inn at Hetton (Michelin Star)
- Beck Hall, Malham
- Yorebridge House, Leyburn
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel, Skipton
- The Yorke Arms, Pateley Bridge
7. Experience a spooky encounter.
There are plenty of Halloween-themed activities and events upcoming to keep kids of all ages entertained over this October half-term.
- Pick your own pumpkins!
- Watch a wonderful light show at Whitby Abby 21st- 31st Oct
- Swing by The Forbidden Corner for their Halloween 28th Oct- 5th Nov
- Get dressed up and visit the Wizard Walk of York
So, hopefully reading this list has you booking some annual leave and packing those Winter Woolies, and if you are STILL stuck for ideas then we do have other lists and recommendations for places to visit when you are staying with us! Wensleydale Glamping- Local Attractions